Steel Structures have following advantage and disadvantages:
- Better quality control.
- Lighter structural elements.
- Faster to erect.
- Less percentage of floor area occupied.
- Better ductility, hence better earthquake resistance.
- Less material handling at site.
- Amenable to alteration.
- Skilled labor required.
- Higher cost of construction.
- High maintenance cost.
- Poor fire resistance as at 1000° F (538°C), 65 % strength remains and at 1600° F (871°C), 15 % of strength remains.
Mechanical Properties of Steel:
- Yield stress: 220-540 N/mm²
- Ultimate tensile stress: 1.2 x yield stress.
- Modulus of Elasticity: 2 x 105 N/mm²
- Poisson's ration: 0.3-0.5