Full Name: Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
Birth: 15th October 1931, Ramanathapuram, Tamil Nadu (India).
Death: 27th July 2015 (aged 83), Shillong, Meghalaya (India)
Education: St. Joseph's college, Tiruchirappalli
Madras Institute of Technology
Profession: Aerospace Scientist, Professor, Author
1. Bharat Ratna, 1997
2. Padma Vibhushan, 1990
3. Padma Bhushan, 1981
Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam was the 11th president of India.In office: 25 July 2002 to 25 July 2007
Preceded by: K R Narayan
Succeeded by: Pratibha Patil
Prime Ministers, worked with: 1. Atal Bihari Vajpayee,
2. Dr. Manmohan Singh
Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam was the first President:
- to fly a Sukhoi fighter jet.
- who sailed in Submarine
- to visit high-altitude Siachen besides LOC
- Address the Indian Science Congress in 90 years.
- Write a number of books. His main source of Income was the royalty of books he authored.
- Who owned no TV, AC or a car but 2500 books, a veena, few clothes and two pairs of shoes.
- He was vegetarian all his life.
- Received honorary doctorate from 30 universities and institutions.
- Designed a hovercraft; developed Kalam-Raju coronary (Low cost), 1998 and created Kalam-Raju Tablet device (2012).
1. Project Director of India's first satellite Launch vehicle (SLV-III)
2. Chief scientific advisor to the Prime minister
3. Secretary of Defence Research and Development Organization DRDO (1992 to 1999)
4. Chief project coordinator during the testing phase of the Pokhran-II nuclear tests.
5. The chief executive of Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme; Development of ballistic missiles (project Devil & project Valiant) and operationalisation of AGNI and PRITHVI missiles.
- Wings of Fire.
- India 2020: A vision for the New Millennium
- Ignited Minds: Unleashing the power within India
- The Luminous Sparks
- Advantage India: From Challenge to Opportunity
- Inspiring Thoughts
- Turning Points: A journey through challenges