1. Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, popularly known as M. Visvesvarya was born on 15th September, 1861.
2. His birthday, 15th September is celebrated as 'Engineer's Day' in India.
3. M. Visvesvarya got a Bachelor's degree in Arts in 1861 and later he studied Civil engineering in 1883 from College of Engineering, Pune.
4. M. Visvesvarya was sent to Aden, Yemen in 1906-07 to study their water supply and drinage system by Government.
5. M. Visvesvarya was Diwan of Mysor from 1912 to 1918.
6. M. Visvesvarya was honored as Knight Commander of Indian Empire (KCIE) in 1915 by King George V.
7. M. Visvesvarya have received the highest civilian award of India 'Bharat Ratna' in 1955.
8. M. Visvesvarya designed the flood protection system for Hyderabad city.
9. M. Visvesvarya was responsible for construction of Krishna Raja Sagar dam in Mysore.
10. M. Visvesvarya was called the "Father of modern Mysore, now Karnataka.
11. M. Visvesvarya was responsible for the establishment of
- Mysore Iron & Steel Works (now known as Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Limited)
- Mysore Soap Factory,
- Parasitoide Laboratory,
- Sri Jayachamarajendra Polytechnic Institute,
- Bangalore Agricultural University,
- State Bank of Mysore,
- University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering, Bangalore
- and numerous other industrial ventures.
12. "Memories of my working life" is the autobiography of Sir M. Visvesvarya.
13. M. Visvesvaraya had a very simple life. He was a strict vegetarian and a teetotaler.
14. When he reached the age of 100 years, Government of India issued a stamp in his honor.
15. M. Visvesvaraya died on April 14, 1962 at the age of 101.